Thursday 6 May 2010

Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer Launch Trailer

Behold!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I despise the Aquiromans. It's such a slap in the face to REH, considering his intense dislike of the Empire: even pseudo-Greeks would be preferable, if they had to go with a classical source. Here, the trailer has some scenes from the Dark Horse comics (I presume), where they have a freaking Aquila at the head of an army marching out of Tarantia. Also, the Khitai bells ring with "lamentations." If I never hear that damned word uttered or written in regards to Conan ever again, I'd die a happy man.

Then there's the whole "Khitai hates Conan for murdering Yogah" story. This is, naturally, something I have a major problem with, and while Joel Bylos did an admirable job explaining to me his choices and rationalizations, I can't help but think it's yet another in the long line of problems in the game's handling of Howard's world. Then there's the "godslayer" of the title: originally I thought this was a reference to Conan himself, but the trailer seems to indicate that someone - or something - else is the deicidal culprit. I wonder if that dragon thingy at the end is the Godslayer: wouldn't surprise me.

That said, there's stuff to like. Khitai looks great, the architecture & environments atmospheric and beautiful. I always appreciate when the trailers use genuine REH, and here they use some choice phrases from "The Phoenix on the Sword" that work very well in context.

I still hate rideable tigers & wolves, though. If this was Master of the Universe Online I'd be all over it, but keep it out of Conan, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment